Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WHY JAPANESE PEOPLE!?
This meme is more commonly known in Japan than anywhere else, and it was brought up by an American IT director who lives in Japan, and eventually became a comedian as a side job.

2015: why is Kanji so hard?
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u44nj0ckVRc

2016: the problems with Japanese idioms.
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BMk47t4v78

But he eventually became a meme since then, and I saw that I wrote down in the title on Discord multiple times in the course of 2 months.
He even got a role in a McDonald's TV advertisement, where the restaurant chain was promoting "American Cheese Deluxe" on their beef and chicken burgers.
As seen here:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDjnULRaIuI

Edit:
Turned video embeds/URLs into code tags, because somebody thought it's a good idea to put restrictions on the amount of videos allowed to post for whatever reason.
The god of the Moriya Shrine in Suwa, I guess.
諏訪市の洩矢神社の神だと思います。
うわー、超クール。私は実際にGoogle翻訳を使用しました。
(11-28-2017, 12:53 AM)rainbow Wrote: うわー、超クール。私は実際にGoogle翻訳を使用しました。

× 超クール
✓ とてもかっこいい or すごい

× 私は実際にGoogle翻訳を使用しました
✓ ところで、Google翻訳を使いました

少しだけ直しまった。wwwww
諏訪市の洩矢神社の神だと思います。
Wow, it's not even accurate.
使用する (shiyou suru) isn't necessarily wrong, but I've noticed how you started your post very casually, and then ended it quite politely.
That's why I corrected it to 使う (tsukau) instead, since that one is more common in casual Japanese (and I guess that was your intention any way).
Both words mean "to use" though.

実際に (jissai ni = in reality) felt out of place here, so I turned it into ところで (tokoro de = by the way).
Additionally, I dropped that 私は (watashi wa = I + subject marker), since subjects aren't necessary in Japanese (often quite unnatural when the subject is already obvious).

And 超クール (chou kuuru) simply feels like a too literal translation of "super cool", とてもかっこいい (tottemo kakkoii = really cool) or すごい (sugoi = amazing) would be better choices, though すごい might have been the best one in this case.
There's a slang called イケメン (ikemen) that's sometimes used here too, but that means more like "cool (looking) person".
諏訪市の洩矢神社の神だと思います。
From what I'm guessing, there's other ways spell words from the expression of the person.
No, but there are different words, and sometimes even different sentences for different politeness levels.
It's a bit like using an entirely different language to your boss than what you would to your close friends, despite it's both in Japanese.

For example:
申し訳ありませんが、了解しませんでした。お客様のお名前をもう一回教えてくださいましょうか。
Moushi wake arimasen ga, ryoukai shimasen deshita. O-kyaku-sama no o-namae o mou ikkai oshiete kudasai mashou ka?

すまんない、わからん。名前をもう一度教えなさい?
Sumannai, wakaran. Namae o mou ichido oshienasai?

Both sentences mean "Sorry, but I didn't understand that. Could you (the customer) tell me your name once again?", but the first one is highly polite, while the latter one is very casual (and therefore highly discouraged to use with your customers).
諏訪市の洩矢神社の神だと思います。